Fiscal year 2017/18 budget approved
For more than 60 years, the Vallecitos Water District has made a priority of providing reliable water and wastewater services to all of its customers. The 2017/18 budget reflects the desire of the Board of Directors and management to continue reliable services now and far into the future. Even with the introduction of desalinated water into the system last year, a finite amount of natural resources still exists. Vallecitos intends to maintain the high level of quality service customers expect and meet demands by:
- Utilizing long range financial planning.
- Seeking to further diversify the water portfolio.
- Exploring reuse alternatives.
- Reaching out to customers about the complexities of utility operations, the scarcity of water and how to conserve.
Although the per unit wholesale cost of water continues to increase, Vallecitos has worked hard to control costs to ensure financial stability. This has been done in recent years by:
- Restructuring its organization, eliminating positions, and redistributing workloads to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Obtaining temporary outside services when it is more cost-effective than adding staff.
- Reducing employee benefits.
- Contracting with the Olivenhain Municipal Water District for water treatment services at a cost of 20% less than the San Diego County Water Authority’s treatment charge.
- Budgeting conservatively and scrutinized expenses for materials, supplies and outside services.
- Engaging consultants to perform energy and operational efficiency studies and implementing recommendations from the studies.
- Utilizing state-of-the-art technology to improve efficiency of operations and reduce chemical costs.
- Refinancing loans to lower debt service costs.
Vallecitos staff welcomes the opportunity to discuss the budget with you and answer any questions you may have. We can be reached at (760) 744-0460.